Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Falling for the Firekites



The Firekites have been a band I’ve been excited about for a little while. And for the good reason too. From Newcastle, these guys make music that makes me wish I was wandering the streets in the rain with someone I was hopelessly in love with.

I had a feeling I wasn’t the only one who felt this way, and not surprisingly, the Hopetoun was packed by the time they came on. They didn’t disappoint at all. For a band just releasing their first album, they were incredibly solid and tight. Looking at their album later, I found they started recording way back in 1995 (which explains why the production is so damn good). I haven’t been able to stop listening to the album and neither has anyone else who have listened to my rants about them.

One of the highlights for me was also seeing the amazing Jane Tyrell (despite her commenting she was sick). Also playing as part of The Herd, to me, she is one of the most interesting and exciting women in Australian music at the moment. Seeing the contrast between her two projects rocks my world and I can’t wait to see The Herd in hip hop mode next week.

Signed to Spunk (a label with more and more cred), the Firekites are a band bound for bigger and better things- watch out!

Also worth mentioning were the two supports- Lola Flash (who get points for an awesome name) and the Sly Hats. How to describe Lola Flash? You know how Portishead are really awesome but at the same time kinda make you sleepy and all emo like? Yep. That’s them. The emo screaming freaked me (and others) out a little, but I’m pretty sure there’s a good time and place.

The Sly Hats are a Melbourne band that my Melbourne friend was excited about. The crowd was absolutely awful the whole way through and dare I say, completely rude. If the Firekites made music that made me wish I was in love in the rain, then The Sly Hats make me wish I was running wistfully in a field, basked in the golden setting sun. Gorgeously nervous and nerdy, I can’t wait to check out these guys again with an audience they deserve….

1 Comments:

Blogger laura tj said...

yay for firekites (again)! oh that scream still freaked me out. and yes i'm quite curious about the nerds' music as well.

June 10, 2008 at 4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home