Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Spoonbill @ the Loft


I was supposed to be not talking to Benji for not coming to my party. Then I get a message saying his cousin, Jim was playing at the Loft at UTS, “new material I believe”.

Damn.

Seeing Spoonbill play is always an absolute pleasure. I’m always surprised and disappointed at the lack of turnout whenever he’s in Sydney- I can’t help but feel like everyone is missing out. Which of course they are.

If you haven’t heard of Spoonbill yet, in essence, he’s a Melbourne producer who samples everything and anything and makes it sound damn good. His first album, Megafauna, wasn’t something to get down and dance to, but it made you wish you could. It was album of the week on FBI, and the video for the main track “Gum Tree” won 2 awards at the Electrovision comp in 2004. Won over yet?

The new material was indeed worthy of trekking out on a cold rainy school night. Up with Vj King Aphid, it was the place to be for me. The show is always entertaining and I love his facial expressions and just how into he gets. The new tracks are a lot more danceworthy, and had a great flow to it- a direction that I love. I’ve just started listening to the new (well for me) album Nestegg and so far so good. His albums take a little while to get into (you have to be in the zone for something slightly unexpected), but I’m already excited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home