Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Joan as Policewoman

Joan Joan Joan. Such an unglamourous name but I would almost name my first born child (male or female) after her after last night’s concert at the Metro. This is a big call, but I think her singing on the night was actually better than her recordings – she has such a pure, direct, powerful voice. The final note of To Survive actually made my chest constrict. Enough to make the blood rush to your head – well, at leat for the person who fainted cold onto the wooden floor with a thump early in the set. Unsettling for the crowd, Joan didn’t notice the fallout, and soon lulled everyone back into their blissful stupor. Being a shorty, I only got to catch a glimpse of her full getup at the end of the set – a full length white jump suit – unkempt hair with a blunt fringe – and she even promised to come back after the set to sign merch. Joan’s only drawback is her hockey attempt at charm between songs, it’s too American cutesy, and she’s not great at small talk – dedicating one of her best songs to a f**cking Koala (Real Life) but hey, I can forgive this lady almost anything. ESPECIALLY after she pulled out a brilliant and understated cover of one of my all time favorite Jimi Hendrix songs, Fire. Move over rover, let Joan takeover indeed.



In sum. I love Joan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home