Monday, June 16, 2008

Following The Herd


I was excited, Ben was excited, and the guys next to us were really excited.

But let’s not burst yet.

I’m always one to insist on seeing the support. We got there during Rapaports set and it was pretty cool. The more I watched and listened the more I got into it. It was a shame (as is the case more most support acts) that there wasn’t more of crowd for them to feed into because it would have added heaps to their act. I also couldn’t help but think he didn’t quite have the ‘look’ for being up on stage. (His female singer did look great though) One of his lyrics mentioned being a music teacher, and after that I couldn’t help but see it…….

Next up were Illzilla, who I’d heard ‘of’ before, but not much else. How I’ve been missing out! In ten seconds they had a empty dancefloor full, and from there on it was an amazing, upbeat, funky-ass funfair. From Melbourne, The Herd later called then the best live hip hop band at the moment, which I don’t doubt at all.

I couldn’t take my eyes off the lead singer- I couldn’t figure out if he was terribly cute, or if it was because of his hat. In the end I decided it didn’t matter at all because his charisma totally won me over. Totally cheeky and full of energy- it’s what every lead singer should be! Hopefully you can check these guys out cause the rest of the band are character to say the least……

Onto The Herd. Were they everything they expected? Did they live up to my (own) hype?
Yes and no- but it could be my own fault. I’m been dragged up to the front row, and I was 100% aware that where we were standing, the sound was crap (because the sounds was going past us). I made the choice though, either move back, and get good sound, or stay where I was, and be up close and personal.

I chose to stay for a couple of reasons:
1. Jane Tyrell is magnetic (though she did look really sick).
2. An unhealthy obsession with Unkle Ho.
3. Ozi Batla looking like hell- was he going to get through it completely fcuked up?
4. Urthboy in very fine form. I didn’t realize had it in him to put on a real show (I’m now kicking myself for missing him at the OAF)

I have to mention they did have a pretty crap opening- or maybe it was because I was too close. For there on, despite the bad sound, everything was amazing. Performances we’re totally on the ball, and lots of my favorite songs came up. They look like they’re having so much fun up there it hardly seems far!. Not sure what else to say. Discussing it later, one of the best things about The Herd is the fact that every single member is amazing talented. “No one in The Herd controls The Herd” rings completely true.

The next time they play is going to be in August at the Metro and I’m already there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home